Thursday 16 October 2014

Day 13 - Going home


Felt so much better today. It's all going well. No more bleeds so the doctors decided to test the situation before sending me home. I had to try anything that might trigger a nose bleed. I walked around the ward a few times to raise my heart rate, had a hot shower for 15 minutes, drank a warm cup of tea had a hot lunch. Still no bleeds. Last on the list...bowel motion. My biggest challenge. The last 2 times I had been to the toilet it triggered a bleed but not this time. Good to go home.

I was a bit nervous going home. I had felt so protected in hospital. My thinking was if it happened, it happened (more nose bleeds), no big deal it all has to come out eventually but now going home it was totally different. I was just hoping the cause was as the doctors described and not something that had been overlooked.

I had a lot more energy instead of just laying there feeling half dead. Still taking it very easy.The doctor put me back on the purée diet for the moment but at least I had the choice of hot or cold foods again.

I did learn one thing today that concerned me. You can actually overdose on Panadol. I had always thought of it as a very mild pain control but as explained to me, if you take more than the recommended dose it can do serious damage and can shut down your liver, then kidneys and possibly death. It's a very painful scenario so you're best off taking a stronger medication than thinking you can just pop a couple extra Panadol each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment